Saturday, November 16, 2013

End of day(s?). My accident pt 3

As I approached my colleague who was just finishing up at the pharmacy counter, I can't help but wonder if there is something wrong with the hospital. True to my lowered expectations, I only get a bottle of yellow lotion and some second rate painkillers. More on that later. We remembered we needed to make a police report as well so we headed to the police box located near the entrance of the hospital. The officer was kind enough to assist me filling in the details and what I have to do next. Things were smooth for once. Apparently, we can only file a preliminary police report at the police box and the final report requires some sort of interview or perhaps interrogation by the inspector in charge at the headquarters we went to earlier.

Now that we have a destination, we can work towards it. My colleague went to get his car while I headed to the entrance to wait for him. Suddenly there was an insane amount of pain as sunlight fried my exposed flesh. Perhaps I get one step closer to understanding vampires. As I tried to find shelter, I could only hope for my colleague to come quickly. The pain was not exactly the usual throbbing pain or the pain of holding something hot. This is an entirely new and unpleasant pain. In half a day, I have experienced things beyond my wildest dreams. I only wish for the day to be over as soon as possible. Thankfully he arrived, I got on, but much to my dismay, the sunlight gets into the car as well. I can only suffer in silence.

At the headquarters, the same thing happened, only this time I feel a bit better. Had to answer questions from a different set of curious bystanders and I proceeded with my business. A somewhat disgruntled looking officer asked me to sit and wait for my turn. I can understand that he must be sick of his job, dealing with so many people, so many cases and so many bullshit everyday but I have a pretty bad day too. As I try to be understanding, I sat there patiently and try to think of what to say later. My turn came, I explained and he pointed me to the inspector's office. My colleague also came in the front door and I just asked him to wait as I headed to the office. I guess I cannot expect a more welcoming experience since the earlier reception was sour at best. Long story short, I got things done, report printed but he mentioned I have to get my motorbike photographed at the headquarters. I didn't think about it much then, and even now, more than 3 weeks later, I still did not bother.

For the first time I felt relieved and we decided to go check on my motorcycle at the accident site. Journey was uneventful, and my colleague managed to find my bike under the care of one of the construction workers over there. Sometimes there are goodness in this world. He also managed to ask a reserve police office if I remember correctly about the photograph and the officer said they only will send people to take photographs if there is a death. Otherwise, the photograph needs to be taken at the headquarters. The next plan of action is to head back home. I phoned another colleague and he agreed since he lives nearby and it is already four in the evening. We headed into the parking lot and I jumped cars. As expected, the second colleague was very much surprised at my bloody condition. I explained everything as we approach my rented room.

I have not much idea how I managed to open the door and everything, but I did. I waved him goodbye and finally have the chance to take a good look at myself and my injuries. Then I took pictures and sent it to my mum's e-mail so she knows my current condition. Next, is the very painful part. Removing my clothes. It was hard avoiding the injured areas and some are still wet due to the severity of it. Here comes the hellish part. Please jump this paragraph and the next if you like to envision words. I have the stupid idea of rinsing my wounds. Yes, thinking of it already hurts a lot. But I felt it has to be done. To clean the wounds before finally leaving it to heal. I feel queasy myself thinking about it now.

With a crazy look in my eyes, I ripped the bandages apart. It has started to stick to my wounds. This disgusting sight is nothing new since I have plenty of experience with it from my first accident. As I stare at the slimy flesh I can only hope I am doing the right thing. Standing in front of the bathroom, I steel myself and went in. I slowly turn on the water, staring at the shower head as if it is raining lava. It might as well be. I jumped in, ducked my head and grit my teeth. The shock of water hitting my wounds is a very familiar feeling and I brace myself as I turned the water off. The pain arrived and I tried to keep myself calm as my heartbeat elevated. I trembled as I grabbed tissues to dab at my wounds, trying to absorb moisture as well as dirty blood. The pain was horrible. I could only wait it out.

As time passed, I felt relatively better again and slumped in front of my computer. I tried to get online and get in touch with people, alerting those who need to know. I think I phoned my mum via speakerphone and spoke to her about my situation. She mentioned that they are thinking of heading down to fetch me. But the family car is old and it is a very risky proposition. They are not sure where I was living either. Once that is done, I switched my attention to food and drinks. I have to boil water myself and eat something. With injuries on my chin, both palms and the back of my hands. This is going to be hell I told myself. But I have to survive. I have to because that is the thing I should do. I do not have a lot of people to rely on over here. This is the biggest problem of living alone, far from any relatives.

Unfortunately, the day is far from over. The pain that came at night, the very first night, is a few times worst than the pain from the water. Within the span of those several hours, until I could finally close my eyes due to exhaustion, I can only wish for salvation that never came. Next part will come soon. I never plan the contents ahead so if it is the last part, I will include some pictures of my current situation. It is very much better now.

No comments: