Sunday, August 9, 2015

Sometimes dreams do come true.

It has been more than half a year since I last blogged something. Many things have happened. New friendships were made and old ones lost. I did my first overseas marathon and flew to Europe for the first time in a separate trip. Many people I know got married and those who were already married delivered their first child. But some things remain the same. However, this blog post is not dedicated to myself but to someone I truly feel like my hero.

Today a team of gamers won a total amount of 6.6 million USD. I was there watching and rooting for the eventual winners. I am not really a fan of the team but I am a fan of one of the players. His name is Clinton Loomis, or better known as Fear in the Dota 2 community. I do not dare say that I relate to him on the skill level but more on his background story.

He faced financial responsibilities...


..and pressure from his family


His financial situation is so dire that he did not even have a good computer to play on.


He is also one of the oldest players in the professional scene. Usually games that require quick reflexes and precise clicking are not kind to 'old' players.


But he persevered. He made a difficult choice. He got pretty famous when he lead Online Kingdom to a some phenomenal games in the first big tournament that guarantees a prize money of over a million USD to the winners.


Unfortunately, his team did not win. That was 5 years ago. Now, not only can he afford a better monitor, his name is immortalized as a member of the team that defeated the world of Dota 2. 


5 years ago is the same time I started working. 5 years ago is the time I made my decision to pursue the life of an office worker. I put my gaming mouse aside. But it has never once left my sight. I still keep some items for old times' sake. I still play now and then but never the same level ever again. Especially now with my hand injury. But he, he did what I could not. Numerous factors aside, the most important thing is he did not give up on his dream. And it came true. Even though it took a while, even though it was difficult, it came true. I was actually happy that he won. And through his victory I felt inspired too. 

I feel that sometimes...sometimes dreams do come true.





No comments: