Monday, February 15, 2016

New year, new decisions

Happy Chinese New Year everyone! With both the Western and Chinese new year celebrations behind, I can really say that the new year has begun. And once again it is time for me to set down my goals for the year. Usually I will refer to what I wrote last year but might as well start things anew this time around. I will just write what I feel like writing.

First of all, I managed to break my personal record for marathon running. I intend to improve my timing further and hopefully one day I will make it for the Boston Marathon. Of course if I can still go further, I will and it is exciting every time I wonder about it. This year's training schedule should be focusing on nutrition and consistency. Even though I broke my own record but it was by a few minutes and I can't say I am pleased with that. I was expecting a greater result but the previous year wasn't really good, training-wise.

After last year's Hong Kong marathon, I had severe muscle spasms until Chinese New Year and it took me a while to get back to training. After that, I had the trip to Bangkok in April so again, training was reset. Later on, there was the surprise tech lead training at HQ for a week in June. I only started properly training around July and the haze started hovering over Malaysia a month or so later. This year though, I only have a planned trip this coming June for the Phuket Marathon and that should count as training too.

That's why the training theme should focus on consistency. I will resume my current training plan because I think it has a good balance of rest and effort. I just need to make sure I keep at it and gradually increase the effort, speed-wise or mileage. Well training for running is pretty simple actually. I was actually thinking about buying a proper running watch but looking at my current bank balance and the fact that if I manage to run faster without one would be funny, I decided not to. Yes, I still hold a deep grudge against being 'poor'. I will show all you people who could buy one, what someone who could not is capable of.

The other theme is nutrition. I mentioned that I will quit alcoholic drinks before Chinese New Year but it was not possible so I took advantage of it and drank enough for the whole year. I think I ate enough to carbo-load for my June run as well. Jokes aside, I will try my best to not drink any beer. I will be expecting a lot of teasing and insults but that is when I will find out who matters to me. If anything, it should provide fuel for my training. I will also increase my intake, both macro and micro. The days of body-building are long gone, I will focus on just replenishing supplies and promoting growth. I will commit to daily multivitamins.

That is all for my new year resolution I guess. Work-wise, I can't really say much without revealing company details and that might jeopardize me professionally. How about I tell you more after some drinks? Non-alcoholic of course! Relationship-wise, well I can feel the pressure from all sides and I can understand why. I am not young. My relatives are not young as well. However, I have no interest in putting effort looking for one. I am dedicating all resources to running for now. If, by any miracle someone would fall on my lap, I would be an idiot to say no. But who would actually like someone who doesn't celebrate Valentine's Day? I mean if you only treat her extra special on the day, something is wrong with you. If she expects you to treat her extra special on the day, ignoring all the other days, something is wrong with her. To me, that day is just like any other day. It is just another Sunday. Why would you let your relationship matters be dictated by a schedule in a calendar?

No comments: