Monday, April 30, 2012

Monthly Update April


Here is my mandatory monthly fitness update for April 2012. The picture above is already posted in my Facebook account. I guess this time around, there isn't much surprise compared with the pictures revealed last month. That is actually understandable considering people who haven't seen me for a long time wouldn't know how I currently look like. Anyway, I do not wear tight shirts or sleeveless ones either. I think looking casual muscular is cooler. As usual, the picture is taken after some 'pumping' up with some push-ups and sit-ups. It would be horrible if my arms are that tense with the veins so obvious all the time. At least my theory that arms are easy to develop is true. I am not aiming to be hugely muscular but at least I need to be able to pull myself up easily. So far I am just thankful that my neck and shoulders are not swollen.

I reached this level purely using my bodyweight and a single 4kg dumb bell. I doubt the dumb bell actually helps much due to the light weight but I guess it is a convenient tool to get warmed up. Usually I do push ups in sets of 15-20, twice per workout session. Most of you will be surprised by the low amount of repetitions but my arms do get tired after that since I only start after I am done with running. At home, I usually do push ups with my legs elevated almost parallel to my shoulders. And I do not simply lower until my elbows are at 90 degrees but I make sure the tip of my nose touches the ground. The position of your hands determine how hard your workout is as well. I am sure you realize that when you put your hands closer together, it gets harder. Some of the articles I found online even suggested I put my hands positioned behind my shoulder and closely together. That way, you will be pushing your chest up with your head as extra burden since the fulcrum is at your chest.

My weight has finally stabilized around 70kg. However, the experiment is not yet over. The theory is that my weight will automatically stop declining when I reach my optimum weight with my current exercise routine and caloric intake. I think at this point of time, what I eat will become much more important since my body will be shaped based on what I provide. I do not want to store fat while I want to build muscles. But having proper food is not always an option. I can only try my best with whatever resources that I have. One thing is for sure, I need more protein which means more meat. According to common knowledge, I need to stock up on chicken breast and take in beef once in a while. Canned tuna is a good protein choice but I do not want to risk mercury/lead poisoning. I still try to take in almond as snacks and I drink chocolate milk daily for calcium. I eat around 3 cooked eggs daily on weekdays. I need to go check my cholesterol level soon just in case.

Starting May, I will increase my interval running routine by decreasing resting time between fast runs. It is also common knowledge that we need to constantly increase the difficulty or change the routine to make sure the body gets a good work out. My legs are still my pride. Of course there are much more space for improvements and I will do my best. How is everyone doing? How far can you run? Are you able to stick with your own exercise plan? Do not be discouraged if it is hard in the beginning. Most important thing is that you are exercising. It is easy to lose motivation. Even my motivation wavers every once in a while. So many things happen to me personally during the month of April. I can feel my way of thinking is changing constantly and hopefully it can be considered as positive growth. How many of you are aware that I am a person that does things better when I use another person as a reason? Honestly, I constantly think about certain Korean idols during my last lap for that final burst of speed. I am sure things that work for me does not apply to all, but try to identify what is it that triggers a positive reaction for you? Your current partner, your idol, your reflection in the mirror, thoughts of spitting at people that laughed at you? That's all for now, take care and have a nice week ahead.

No comments: