Monday, September 24, 2012

Health check

Just heard news about the death of someone close to a colleague recently. I guess death should never be taken so lightly. It strikes swiftly, without warning and without mercy. I breached the topic of suicide in a post not long ago but truthfully I try to go against it. I dare say with honesty that it has never consciously crossed my mind before. When I was young, a friend of mine took his life due to reasons unknown to me. At that time the concept of losing someone forever is still foreign to me since I have never experienced it. Once an elderly relative passed away, it hit me like a truck. Never will I see that person again. Never will I hear my name being called again. Never can we spend time together again. I realized the pain of losing someone close. I can then imagine the pain of my family losing me. Why would people commit suicide then? There is no logical reason behind it. No good will come from it. Therefore, it is ultimately caused by the loss of rationality at that moment of time. Emotions can break the strongest of reasons. As to why I crashed at that time though, I can offer no solid excuse or reason. I did not go out for dinner with my friends with the intention of harming myself.

Hopefully I put that topic to a deep sleep. I will try my best to be very careful on the road and avoid any potential accident hotspots. But I will not slack in my exercise. Like what I said before, nobody ever died due to over-exercising. My body won't let me anyway. There are times when the pain is so severe I just call it a day after 2-3 tries. Recently I went for a total body checkup and the preliminary results are out. One of my kidneys, my gall bladder and my liver recorded lower than average function. My thyroid hormone system is haywire. How they diagnose this without even going through my blood is beyond me, but if what they say is true, my diet is killing me. It is true you can't beat a bad diet with exercise. I guess 3 years of eating out, sleeping late and stress has taken its toll on my body. To those people living with their parents or at least comfortably, I envy you. Luckily my lungs seem okay so I can still continue driving my motorcycle. I was afraid my lungs being jeopardized due to the amount of pollution I inhale during my daily transit to work. The only good news so far is that my fat levels are lower than average and my muscle mass is higher than average. No where near an athlete's level yet.

I would like to have an athlete's body though. Anyway, the thyroid issue seems genuine though. A simple search yielded information about symptoms for hyperthyroidism and I fit the bill. I have increased appetite, I hate sweating, easily irritated, frequent bowel movements and sometimes have difficulty sleeping. I thought the increased appetite is simply due to me exercising more nowadays and the bowel movements are the natural consequence of that. Well, I think I need to wait for the full medical report before I draw any conclusions. However, it is always better to figure out what to do in advance in case I am really diagnosed with it. If you are wondering how I got it, I overdosed on iodine, which may seem highly likely considering my current diet. I eat a lot of eggs, I drink a lot of milk and when I cook, I use iodized salt not realizing that there is already ample amount of it in dairy. Hopefully there is no permanent damage to my body. I am still young, I hope I can start my 30s being as healthy as possible so I could enjoy life then. I wonder how do athletes control their iodine levels. Could iodized salt be that lethal? Maybe I should stop consuming it for a while. The coming week is already the last week of September and I still haven't went to gym. Keep your eyes open for my monthly update post this coming Saturday.

No comments: