Saturday, September 27, 2014

Thoughts on team building

I have just returned from a company team building session at Langkawi and I think it is about time I start complaining again. Surprisingly the gripe this time around is not centred on the events or the games we are forced to play but what I learnt about my colleagues at work as well as myself. I totally understand why people would say that 'ignorance is bliss'. My opinions on them will never be the same again and I have to make adjustments on how I deal with them in the future. Why do I want to waste so much effort? I do not want to get annoyed and  it is impossible for me to ignore the things I have seen or heard. If you already know the road has a big hole, you will most definitely try to position your car out of the way in advance right? Same thing for me.

I think most of you know I have issues working with people I do not respect or worst, those that I deem not suitable for the job. But at least, if the person is trying his or her best I would still appreciate that. I cannot stand someone that takes things as a game or puts self above the job. And lastly, I would prefer the person to complain about the job a bit less. You accepted the role, now do it properly. You already know it is going to be tiring, you are going to be running around, and various people will pester you. You being tired or the food is not to your liking is your own issue and you should deal with it better. We are all tired. We are all eating the same food. Not our fault you are very choosy and you could not find something to eat at a freaking buffet. Think about that for a minute. A buffet.

I might sound like I am severely prejudiced against the said person but I guess I am. How dare you to actually claim that the food is not suitable for human consumption. Do you even think with your head? Just because you want to clear off all the props does not mean you can wipe it off at the losing teams. Can't you give something like certificates of participation instead? You have the losing teams march onto the stage to accept a beach ball which in the end becomes the 'Ball of Shame'. Lastly, the prize money for the winning team is so much. The points calculation were so questionable that finding out the amount of money won amplified the feelings of anger and disappointment. Many people really put in a lot of effort to complete all the games that day. Some got injured, some got sick, and you are just going to smile and say 'too bad?', I will wipe the floor with your face.

The prize money would have covered all my expenses coming to the team building event. The prize money would have allowed me to buy things for my friends or my family. The prize money would have been the difference between me going home with a bottle of whisky for my father or nothing at all. Some of us came back from the team building still bitter or perhaps even regret for not trying hard enough. Should we blame ourselves or blame the game masters that provided questionable results? Sure, it is just a game. But when money is involved, it is not anymore for me. I would rate the team building as a failure. I understand it is very hard to have everyone going back home with a smile. I guess next time I should just make sure I do not repeat the same mistake if at all possible. Most probably I will only fully comprehend the difficulty of the task when I am in the hot seat.

One more funny thing, during the beginning of the team building session, we were asked to present a question to the person next to me and I actually got the following question 'What is the best present you have received on your birthday? It hit me like a freight truck on fire. Since I am an adult, I have not gotten any presents for my birthday. My family is only as rich as I am and my other friends just wish me through Facebook. I have never gotten anything memorable recently. I guess I really do not have anyone that matters in my life. Maybe it is due to me never giving any presents to people on their birthday either? But it is not like they celebrate their birthday with me. I do not matter to them as much as they do not matter to me. 

Oh yeah, I also dislike how people really go crazy just for free beer. Why are you killing yourself with a smile? Why do you people make fun of people who do not want to drink? Can't we just have fun without drinking? Must we drink so that you will stop? Why are you causing trouble for everyone else? I was so pissed. They should also put all the beer drinkers in a room so that they will not cause a disturbance to those who want to rest early. All of us are tired. We do not need someone banging on the door and raising their voice, waking up everyone. Just because you are not waking up early, does not mean everyone else is not. Stop being so selfish and try to be more considerate for a change. Things will not change in the near future. I will have to live with it. I think I am going to stop now, I am getting sick of writing any more. Have a good weekend everyone.