Sunday, July 15, 2012

Power of words

Just a short post. Words hold a very great power. It can create and destroy at the same time. Saying the correct words at the correct time is one of the keys to success in life. With words you can convince someone to trust you, to buy your products or to hire you. With words you can win the girl of your dreams. Or lose her. With words you can destroy 10 years of friendship. The same goes for unspoken words. If you hold it in for too long, afraid of the consequences, it might create a much more severe scenario. If you missed the chance to express yourself, the chance may never present itself to you ever again for the rest of your life. Can you blame someone to make a mistake with words then? However, what you know does not represent that the other party knows the same. They may not be aware of how strong words can be. And you wouldn't know. Some people prefer to treat words lightly and follow the old saying that action is more important than words. But when action is not available, you can only rely on words.

Today I posted a comment here http://dontlikethatbro.blogspot.com/2012/07/bros-those-three-words.html#comment-form in response to a funny comic that the author drew. I guess I got the inspiration for this post from it. But then there is a quote running in my head for a while now and I was already looking for a way to elaborate on it so this is a good chance to do so. To quote the lyrics from a song 'Before the tears dry up'. Different people will interpret this differently. But to me, it simply means before it is too late. When someone is crying over something you did, you can still try to salvage the situation by explaining yourself, correcting the error or take responsibility in some way. When the crying stops though, the wound has healed and the scar will always be there as a reminder of the pain. At that point, it is almost impossible to erase it. Somehow the words seem very meaningful to me and has stuck with me ever since I first heard the song. To drive someone to the point of crying, it must have been terrible. If I saw tear stains I don't think I will know what to do.

But now there is something I know I have to do. As part of my 2012 changes, I have decided to remove more people in Facebook. Facebook is a double-edged sword. You can share your happiness, meet up with friends and find new ones while you grow jealous of people and remember the bad things the others did. Many people simply do not wish to handle the awkwardness of bumping into people that you removed from Facebook. But then again, is it worth the anguish you feel? I have been isolated in the past and now I am still being isolated in the present. It is clear that I am an unwanted 'friend' or 'contact'. It is like a cruel employer purposely tormenting an employee in hopes that the employee will quit. Perhaps they have no intention of doing the same to me in a social setting but that is how I honestly feel. Confronting them seems like a fool's errand. Thus, I will grant their wish. I do not blame them because I know I am hard to deal with as well. I hope this will end in good will. If it does not, there is nothing I can do either. Life goes on and hopefully I can deal with life without all of you. Thank you for the time in the past. But it is already time to let you go.

No comments: