Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lies and me

Right after I commented about the lack of local readers, suddenly there is a spike again. I am very grateful for the support but I will appreciate it more if my words reach people that matter. If you find something useful here, by all means use it. Helping myself is only part of the reason why I write so much. What I really want to do is to share my thoughts with people. But I am not so shameless as to promote it everywhere. So I am already satisfied with my friends reading it. Today's post will not be a negative one even though the title may hint as much. I will try not to have angry posts 2 days in a row. But something did happen today at office. Maybe I am just easily annoyed in the morning or I was hungry I am not too sure. But seriously, if it was due to touchy issues or definition of words, there is a workaround. There is no hope left when we dislike the way each other talks. How many of you out there dislike somebody as soon as they open their mouths? Is it the way they talk, their voice or their tone of speaking that gets to your nerves?

Some people get uncomfortable when they hear someone lie directly to another person. You know the truth, but will you interfere? Lies are a part of our daily life whether we participate in it or not. We will always encounter it in one form or the other. Some of them are harmless white lies while others may prove to be very significantly damaging. I admit I do lie one way or the other. I lie when I joke around to make things more interesting. I lie to manipulate the flow of events that pepper my relationship issues in the past. Frankly speaking, I lie to satisfy my own needs. I have lied for others before. But even then, if you drill deep down, the reason I did that is because I cherish the friendship or I might benefit from it. Are we really such selfish creatures? How can you lie for the sake of others? Whatever we do, there is a reason for it. I do not have the answer for my own questions. Every lie has a possibility of going out of control. Knowing that, we still lie simply because sometimes that is the only thing we can think of at that time.

What if your partner asks you to promise that you will never lie to him/her? Will you lie from the start? Or will you choose to break the promise should the need arises? Is it actually a naive request? Can it even be done? I am sure we are not supposed to get so technical with love declarations but this is not along the lines of cheesy quotes. To be completely honest with someone in everything seems possible and impossible at the same time. Leaving facts out of the picture is not considered lying. But this means you can't give your partner surprises especially when curiosity takes over. Or it just means your act needs to be so convincing that it won't arouse any suspicion. Anyway, to me this certainly does qualify as one of the most touching wishes to be granted. Trust between partners are important and it is always crucial that what each other say is credible. Else the lies will never end. When the truth is revealed, feelings of betrayal, disappointment, anger and sadness. I guess it is a good thing to aim for when we get into a relationship.

Showing who you really are, how you really feel and what you really think only to someone is a sign that the person is very important to you. And that you trust the person to understand, to listen and to keep your secrets. But as long as the lie does not hurt someone, I think it is still acceptable. We hide our feelings, we hide our thoughts under a fake smile. Isn't that simply lying to the public? Is it wrong? I don't think so. I doubt we are supposed to get angry at the waiter because your boss called you for an emergency meeting. Always try to be honest when it matters. You never know what may happen. Life is all about finding the right balance. Actually I don't really have much else to write but I still need to conclude my post and the previous paragraph is already quite long. I am trying to condense everything into short paragraphs so it will be easier to read. I do lose control sometimes and will go into a writing frenzy but I think this is enough for today. Take care and enjoy Friday!!

No comments: