Monday, March 12, 2012

Probability and me

Today I am mentally exhausted. It has been quite some time since I feel that my day has been wasted. A stern reminder as to why I actually prefer to be alone with my time. I will try to finish this post in 3 paragraphs. My main gripe is not with office but instead with a friend of mine. Seriously though, if I knew I am supposed to be the background prop throughout the night, nothing you say will convince me otherwise. I missed 2 shows that I follow every Monday and I sacrificed my rest and supposedly my work because I thought it will be fun going out. Now there is only a burning feeling of regret. There is no hate for him because I guess I should have asked for more details as to what we are going to do during the outing. This will be the last time anyway. Just thinking about how I could have spent the wasted time is seriously making me pissed off. The price to pay for a wrong gamble is indeed great. Sometimes probability is just a number and we should not put such high hopes on it.

We can never predict the future, so something with a low chance of happening is the same as having a high chance of happening as well. Unless all the variables are within our control, there is nothing we can be certain about. After all, probability is a human concept and may not apply to reality. The same thing about the concept of fairness. Anyway, I think in future decisions I should weigh the consequences heavier instead of the probability of me gaining. Even if it seems very likely I will profit, I shouldn't ignore the price if I lost or my own capacity to afford that loss. But pricing aside, such perception of probability can be used as a source of motivation. If you are facing troubles, there is no reason to stop hoping until your very last breath. As long as you are alive, miracles may still happen. I cannot guarantee that it will, but I also cannot guarantee that it will not. I am sure no one can do that either. Even feng shui masters read things wrongly occasionally. We can only control our own actions. And many things are out of our control.

Try not to let anyone else tell you what to do. Like I said earlier, it is your life, your happiness and your future. You will be the one living with the decision not the others. They will not be affected except for having you as a depressed or troubled friend. Of course at least listen to what others have to say. They may provide useful information in justifying your decision or inspire you to completely change your approach to an issue. After all, you will never know. And listening was never known to hurt anybody. The probability of me getting an awesome partner any time soon is pretty slim. But she might just bump into me tomorrow. I have listened to stories where people get married later and still enjoy life. I have also listened to people saying that love comes naturally. Thus I have changed my approach in this matter to be more neutral and less aggressive. Might as well take it easy and not pressure myself too much. In the end, hopefully I have a brighter and more mature outlook in my personal love life. True to my word, I will end it here. Take care and enjoy Tuesday!!

No comments: