Saturday, March 10, 2012

Talent and me

I have gotten a bit more lazier recently in regards of everything. Nowadays I tend to just surf the Internet or laze around instead of working, gaming or exercising. Maybe I am too tired, maybe I feel bored but I think having a proper rest is important all the same. Hopefully I will recover from this stupor before the weekend ends. So far it is still enjoyable except for my concern for my personal laptop. Seems like some of the system files are either corrupted or something else is going on. I don't usually get blue screens but today alone it has been around 10 times? After some tinkering, it seems to behave a little bit better now but still requires observation to be sure. It will be a pretty hefty investment for a new laptop especially now that rumours of no bonus is swirling around in the office. But this is something I need in my daily life so there isn't much I can do. Anyway I think it has been around for more than 3 years already and it has served me well. I shouldn't put so much stress on it anymore I guess.

Putting all those aside, I have been wondering about talent or perhaps potential. As I start to be more aware of the people around me, I noticed some actually have the looks to compare with Korean superstars. Anyway that is my personal opinion of them. Some of those superstars don't really look too distant and has that different aura that makes you think he is after all, a guy. Not all of them have those impossible bodies or slick looks but all of them definitely can perform or sing. In the end, does that mean it all boils down to talent? But I am sure there are much more than a handful of people in Korea that can sing well considering their substantial population. Same thing with China. So I guess talent only plays a part. But if you are given the chance but lacking the talent, is there any possibility that you will make it? Can hard work be really enough to make up for it? Can someone that cannot sing be trained to an acceptable level? Is there really an insurmountable wall separating those with talent and those without?

Do you think that failing to fulfil your chance is worst than never be given the chance at all? I guess it depends. If you want the chance, then yes, both are as bad. But if you do not, then I guess it doesn't really matter much to you. It will simply be a waste because there are so many that wish they have your talent. Not everyone is aware of their personal talent and not everyone actively pursues a career related to the talent. Some simply use it as a social tool and nurture it as a hobby. I bet you have heard of accidental superstars that are recruited for their singing skills. Anyway I guess all the discussion will be fruitless in the end because we can never compare the life of 2 people accurately. To some, it might seem like a dream-like existence where he/she has everything but there are usually much more than meets the eye. So here comes another curve-ball, do you think everyone has a talent? Talent as in useful and practical in a social or career setting. Burping 10 times in a row is not a 'talent'.

If so, what is my talent then? I doubt stubborn, perseverance, creative or sense of humour can be called a talent. I am not exceptionally good at anything. Please do not say my talent is being normal. Sometimes we never realize our talents until something or someone comes along. I guess it is sad to say that some people never get the chance to realize their own talent. If you are not curious then you will not seek. Some people bury their talent simply because it is not useful in their career. Even if you are really good at computers, it might be a result of interest or hard work instead of talent. I think everyone has a talent and we should try to discover it as we learn more about ourselves. Try moving out of your comfort zone once in a while and you might even surprise yourself. I am trying to do it slowly and sheepishly. I can only hope that it will not be too late. I shouldn't set such a serious tone but I am not the kind to actually throw everything up to fate. If everything is planned, granting us consciousness is actually quite cruel. That is all for now, enjoy Sunday!!!

No comments: