Monday, December 19, 2011

Health and me

My ideas draft is getting longer and longer since many different things happen to me daily and I need to take care of the length of my post. Sometimes I would just think about things as I walk back home from my daily trip to the coffee shop for dinner. One thing usually leads to another and I would have an entire essay based in my head. This may or may not be a good thing depending on how you view it. To be positive about it, my daily life is eventful. To be negative, I care too much about everything. Many people have told me that I take things too seriously and I over-think things which are actually very simple and direct. Well the thinking part I would like to say is a very severe natural defence mechanism my brain deployed to prevent me from getting hurt.

Today should have been just another routine day of exercising after work but I really wanted to test my fitness and especially my legs after the weekend rest. The one exciting thing about all this is that usually I can feel some improvement every week. However, I have been doing things for about 7-8 months now and it is odd if I only feel it now. So, it is either I was slacking a lot previously or it is just a psychological effect that I am experiencing. Anyway, as I was warming up, the weather is already looking rather grim and the wind is cool. I already told myself that I will not let the weather take this away from me. Just as I was leaving the house, it rained.

At first I was hesitating as I scrambled all my brain cells trying to weigh my choices while heading to the jogging track. It was only a very light drizzle then. It doesn't look like it is going to stop though. However, among the things that went through my mind is that one of my friends in Facebook wished that today is the end of the world. I don't really know or care what his problem is but it resonated with me. The reason why I am always trying to do as many things that I like as possible is I know how fragile a human life is. I know everything might just end abruptly one day. And I know if the world is ending today, I sure as hell will jog in the rain. So, I picked up my pace just as the brunt of the storm hits. I was soaked before my 1st lap was completed.

While running I thought this is stupid and wonder what will other people living close by think when they see this idiotic fellow with swishing wet hair running in circles. It was amusing to say the least and then another image flashed through my thoughts. One of the videos I watched yesterday depicted a girl's resolve and determination to do her best amidst her tears after calling her mum long distance. If she would do her best, why not me? I buried all doubts and press on as the weight of my wet shoes and clothes started to slow me down. By the time I complete my run, the rain has reduced to a drizzle once more. My legs are burning but I am not out of breath and I am sure as hell not sweating buckets either. I quickly took off my shoe and took my routine cool down round while slowly stretching my calves and toes.

I have to admit that I somehow enjoy getting wet in the rain but of course I try not to since there are various other issues to worry. Most probably I view it as therapeutic since I feel calm, relaxed and cool while being wet. And I believe that all of us sometimes like to act totally random and break out of the usual monotony of life. I may or may not do it again the next time it happens but there are no regrets since I didn't fall sick after the stunt. Furthermore I can chalk this up as another achievement towards completing a list of things I do before I am 30. I set it at 30 because usually we will be tied down with responsibilities and family by then. By the time I am free to do whatever I want again, I think I will be 60. Jogging in the rain will be suicide.

I am sorry if the post is rather boring as it focuses totally on what I did but I hope it will create some food for thought. Do you have a list of things to do before you are 30? Do you want to go see the world, learn a new sport, learn to dance, learn a new language? Are you willing to wait till 60 to do it or just leave it as a dream? If you are capable of doing it now, why hesitate? I don't expect anyone to follow me quitting a well-paying job to regain my life back but at least, spare some thought. We live only once, we are young only once. Love at 16 only happens at 16 as they say. I am sad to say I missed that chance but at least I am doing my best now. Love at 25 perhaps? I will take it anytime!!! Take care and have a wonderful Tuesday ahead.

No comments: