Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sundays and me

Today was a really relaxing day as I spend most of it trying to just chill and recuperate from the hectic life that I live in KL. Compared to Ipoh, life in KL is always busy and happening. Previously, I use to laze around and simply surf the net randomly and take lots of afternoon naps. Anyway, the usual morning routine with my housemate didn't change a bit as we woke up early, ate breakfast and head towards the cybercafe. Well, we don't really have much to do in the mornings especially with the TV being occupied and all the malls barely open. Personally, I won't use my weekend for exercise if I could help it. It was another blistering 3 hour Call of Duty session but the performance today is rather lacking compared with yesterday. It was fun nonetheless and similar to my previous experience I am starting to feel bored of it already. The 'too much too soon' syndrome is starting to make me feel the game is repetitive and most of all pointless. I can't make a living out of it and people do not generally care about how good I am at pointing and clicking compared with how much I earn. Time to find something much more meaningful to do.

I think this time I will finish up my memory trip first before continuing with my daily rant. Maybe because I have much more to say today. Anyway I was called for the interview at The Star as a web developer. It is one of my targeted jobs and so I actually declined another offer I had in hand and went for the interview. Most of the employers I meet requires me to answer very quickly so I can't really hold them off for too long. But at that time I am still able to hold the highest paying job offer I got as a backup. I don't really like to work as part marketing and part developer though. As I step into the office I was told to wait as the higher ups are still in a meeting. I think I waited for almost an hour before I was eventually called in. I still remember being extra cautious about my behaviour while I was waiting and my speech pattern when dealing with HR staff. As expected, there was an aptitude test which I eventually failed. I have close to zero web development experience.

However, they were still curious about me and thus I tried my best to sell myself. In my opinion I also failed in that aspect. At that point in time I was flustered and pretty stressed out. I still remember myself telling them to try me out as I am confident I could pick things up quickly and if they are not satisfied, fire me during probation. Finally, what seemed like an eternity ended and I left the office in a hurry. Somehow I felt pretty bad, angry and hateful. Maybe I was disappointed with myself and looking for excuses. I was already prepared to lose the job as I was very very emotionally disturbed. To my surprise, I was given the green light. Even then I hesitated as I remembered the so-called 'thrashing' I received during the interview. It was humiliating at least to myself. Furthermore I was very afraid that this new job will end up like my first job. In the end, I accepted the job and officially started working on the 4th of April 2011 until now. I can't comment much since this is a public blog and the situation is pretty similar to my previous company but I can say things have been good so far.

Coming back to the present, I won't bore you with other historical accounts of my life many months ago but rather something worst I might say. You have been warned. As you all are aware, Christmas is approaching and everywhere there are sales and even people singing Christmas Carols. When I went to Tropicana City Mall for my grocery shopping trip, I managed to slow down and gather all that I could see around me. Families were going around with the energetic children running all over the place, couples walking around admiring the decorations and giggling, groups of friends having a loud reunion at restaurants and single people just simply walking around or watching the choir singing. This wasn't part of a movie. This is real and I could really say this is life. I simply stopped and admire what I see for a while before proceeding to the hypermarket. All of us are here for a reason. All of us are how we are now due to a reason. Even though all our reasons may not be the same, we are still gathered at somewhere. I feel alive.

The usual routine at the hypermarket involves me diving into the biscuits section to get my post-lunch office snacks. Next would be the dairy section as I grab some chocolate milk. After that I walk around randomly to see if I should get anything else to nibble on. I forgot to mention that I always go shopping with my own bag. I won't say I am a nature conscious person but I am so used to shopping on Saturday that I bring it along as a habit. With everything in the bag, I head over to the express counter. I wasn't really looking but apparently the lady in front of me wasn't some old aunty as I would expect. Usually I am more curious about what people buy as it might remind me of something that I wanted to buy. When her turn came, she fumbled a bit as she put her stuff on the counter and then she kept on glancing back. I am seriously not imagining this nor am I self-conscious and I was actually thinking if the lady know me or something. Maybe she was waiting for her friend? Do I look intimidating? She don't look half bad either. Nevertheless my turn came and I briefly settled my stuff.

Now, the paragraph above may seem like a pointless recollection but it is due to random events like this which provides me the fuel to see tomorrow. To see what else could happen. As I am a person with many wants, life becomes more interesting somehow. I might make a new friend. I might meet my future wife. I might meet an old friend. I might learn something new and useful. As I passed through the lobby of Tropicana once again and revisiting the sight and sounds, I could see clearly there are still many more things I have yet to experience. Many more good things that life could offer. Of course there is also the dark side of life, but at the time when you are only exposed to the joy of other people living their life, that is the only thing you will see. Therefore, to conclude this blog post, when you feel down, depressed or lost, please go out and have a walk. We have the bad habit of brooding over things and listening to emotional songs related to your current situation does not make things any better. Tomorrow is Monday and it is about time I test out if my legs have recovered and improved. Another thing to look forward to~ Fighting!!!


No comments: