Friday, December 9, 2011

Little bit of progress

Thinking bout the title took me a good 10 minutes. I should just revert back to dates as the title. If I really do blog 365 days a year, I need 365 titles which is almost impossible to be unique. Before I continue with the TeenFest story, my daily update takes precedence. Finally, my phone is broken. The RM1000+ phone which I bought using both my own and my parents' money is faulty. It could still be used but a replacement is a matter of time. I have a lot of time but I do not have the money to change it. Anyway, today is Friday and earlier during dinner time I caught a glimpse of my 'objective'. Contrary to popular belief, I am not referring to a girl but my short-term destination. It is a dude that rides a superbike with a nice girl friend. I used to hope I can achieve that in a few years. Things changed for me and I guess things changed for him too. He rides around in a car now. I will stop myself from making stupid assumptions but that just shows circumstances are not in our control.

Back to Midvalley, it was finally day 2. With breakfast in my stomach, I look forward to another good day at TeenFest as I reach the destination. This time some of the colleagues switched out as not all are willing to work on a Sunday. I don't really have a problem with it especially now when I look back, I don't think I will head to PC Fair either due to sheer laziness. The morning started rather slowly as the customers trickle in. I didn't mention it before but our booth is not exactly at the path of the visitors heading towards the exit. That explains why usually the customers are close to 80% staff from other booths nearby. The SMM stage roars occasionally as I wonder what took place. I did manage to round the place once more but I couldn't spot the singaporean team. Looking at the tournament group board, they were knocked out. I hope they will recover from it ever stronger. I don't really care about how the local teams fare though. However, I finally saw where my friends are working at and they look absolutely amazing in their uniform. Pleased with the sweet sight, I head back to engage my colleagues in conversation to pass time.

Things eventually pick up during late afternoon when representatives of a certain political party came by for a visit. This is my first time being so near to not one but a few politicians. The media and my colleagues took numerous pictures as the politicians ask about the job personality card game. I was only thankful it wasn't me doing the explanation but a senior colleague. It wasn't long before they head towards the other booths. Later they gave a speech and that was about it. Thanks to that, our booth received a sudden boost in interest and a bit more traffic passed by. That means I need to utilize all my conversation skills gleaned from hours and hours of chatting in my life so far. The art of '吹水' (blowing water) if you will. I think it might be a good idea to add in some local slang just to spice up the blog posts. Anyway it felt great when my skills are noticed by my colleagues. Though they joke about it but it was all good fun. Good reputation is always welcomed.

Nothing much really happened after that. There was a lucky draw for an iPad 2 but nobody from my company managed to get it. Me and the remaining colleague were bored halfway close to falling asleep. I was actually reeling from 2 days worth of expensive food though. In the end, we decided to pack things up a bit early as most of the other booths are already empty after the lucky draw. Before we left, we decided to take another run through TeenFest and casually enjoy the sights. I saw my friends again at their booth but I don't think they even noticed me as they are quite busy. And that concludes a rough summary of my 2 days there. Sounds boring but like I mentioned in an earlier post, it wasn't a complete loss. It was a new experience for me to see the SMM tournament with my own eyes. If I am required to work next year, I might just go again.

Last year, even though I was working in a gaming booth and we had booth babes and all, it wasn't the confident 2011 version of me. I didn't really have a solid conversation with any of them. This year I have female colleagues and we went berserk talking crap. Recognizing my own growth isn't a bad thing at all. Today's post don't really have much space for my philosophy crap so I will refrain from touching those. For those asking for pictures, I am sorry but if I insert pictures, my posts are going to take 2 pages to load. Maybe when I have fewer things to say. Oh yeah, one last thing, currently I am working at JustJobs, a subsidiary of The Star Publications. Perhaps I will talk about my job transition period tomorrow. Until then, take care and enjoy your Saturday.

No comments: