Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Efforts and me

I am very tired and very messed up right now so I guess I should keep things very short tonight. I think I pulled a muscle during badminton and the huge pimple on my back is leaking. I got a huge spot on the shirt I wore during badminton. Hopefully it comes off after some soaking. Well I only have myself to blame for the muscle though. I was pushing myself while stretching yesterday and my current sports shoes is actually very slippery now. So it is almost inevitable that I will overstretch my thigh today. Thus the topic I chose to write about. I am no stranger to effort I dare say and sometimes I do overcommit. I tend to get carried away and become obsessed with putting more effort into it. But even then certain things just don't work out the way you hope they will. Life is like that. Take it positively and you can say this is what makes life interesting. Take it negatively, and you will feel everything is pointless.

But if you do not take action at all, things will definitely remain the same. At least you try to make a difference. If it doesn't change, then hopefully you benefit from it except for the knowledge that it does not work this way. When you really want something, you tend to find more ways to guarantee the most favourable result. Thus the effort obsession. Especially when it is something that you can control or at least influence directly. Sometimes things will get worst the more you try. So knowing when to step back or even to totally stop is very vital in getting through life. Everyone with a license can drive. But not everyone can drive professionally. And one of the skills is braking. Some people likes the process of pursuing something. It gives them purpose and gets them off the bed looking forward to the new day.

Not everyone is good at stopping or taking no as an answer. Hoping that more effort will change the results, they might end up alienating themselves and offending people around them. I am a living example I guess. I put too much effort into being 'me' whereas a little bit of flexibility on my part would have changed a lot of things. Of course there were numerous times where effort rewarded me nicely but the most important part is I must realize it. This is actually quite hard when the rewards only come later and sometimes when you least expect it. It is human nature to expect feedback immediately, but reality works with its own pace. This is the kind of risk associated with effort. It is a personal investment with our time and energy but the returns are never 100% predictable. Whether it is studying for the final exam, working hard on a project, pursuing a relationship or learning a new language.

Of course there is never any harm with improving ourselves or doing what our hearts desire when we have the capacity to do so. To me, I wouldn't dare to risk it all. Perhaps this is why people say I am too rational and boring. Well, the price is mine to pay and sometimes it hurts like hell. Therefore I should try my best to accept reasonable opinions. As friends who care for me, I know some of you feel disappointed watching me stumble as I stay stubborn until the end. We view things differently, and we value things differently. Nevertheless, we should always put effort into the things that we like. We should obtain maximum returns whenever possible so as to not waste any opportunities that emerge in our lives. If you love someone, love her with everything. If you want to know someone, start asking around. It only takes a bit of effort. If you want to live, put some effort into it. Take care and enjoy Thursday!!

No comments: