Saturday, February 18, 2012

Regrets and me

Since I am already on a roll from yesterday, might as well continue right? To me, a regret is a feeling of guilty to yourself about a decision you made. This is actually a rather unique scenario because it is applied in a third person mode. We are feeling sorry to who we are now, what we experienced or perhaps suffered due to something we did in the past. Furthermore we are only capable of regret after the event. We cannot regret something we haven't done yet. Because only then we can get feedback from the other variables involved in the event or decision such as other people. With the feedback, we apply our own values and see if it is correct, wrong, worthwhile or a complete waste of time. We have no limits to regrets. We can regret what we had for breakfast, we can regret buying that item and we can regret speaking to someone. But the funny thing is, regrets change as time passes.

We may regret something for a different reason later, or we might even stop regretting about that certain event when we found out it was actually 'correct'. Everyone grows, everyone changes as time goes by as long as he or she continues living. Therefore, our way of thinking or perspective might change. Our circumstances also may change unpredictably. Therefore, none of us actually qualify to say what we are doing now is correct or criticize what others do. Things may not have worked out for ourselves but we may never know if it may work for another person simply because they are different. No two people in this world is exactly the same as each other. Anyway I shouldn't stray from the topic too much. We should never ignore advice given by others so quickly though. Even if it is not useful or not relevant, after all, it is their life experience and ignoring it may mean undermining what they went through. Quite dramatic but there is some grain of truth.

Some people do get consumed by their regrets though. We do not get second chances very often especially when it involves other people or a life-changing situation. Regrets are amplified when our current circumstances are worst than before. Then we will find ourselves constantly thinking about the past when we are much happier. From there, we tend to analyze why we are in such a rut and will pin point it to a decision we made. However, there are people that manage to 'live without regrets'. How do you interpret it actually? Do we try to live doing everything we wish to do or do we try to live by totally ignoring our past and only looking forward? To me, the statement itself is a bit naive but I guess we should just take the simple meaning and be happy. Even so, we should always be honest with ourselves because lying to yourself will only create more regrets in the future.

I guess I can continue on and on about what I think about regrets but I choose to stop here. I am actually sitting in the living room with the TV on because I am home alone today. And trying to come up with a post while being distracted is pretty difficult and tiring. Tomorrow I will once more head over to UKM to meet my brother and my parents. Hopefully the weather will be fine. It has been raining almost the whole day today. Thanks to that, it is cool and comfortable now though. The rest of the day is peppered with some office work and light exercise. Nowadays I am worried about how my seniors evaluate my working performance. Perhaps I have been rather slow lately. Time to pick up the slack I guess. Even though there is nothing wrong with being hardworking but the problem is sometimes I couldn't bring myself to do it. Anyhow, this is it from me. Take care and enjoy Sunday!!!

No comments: