Monday, February 20, 2012

Photographs and me

I am quite tired today after pushing myself during the workout. It feels so good to run on well-recovered legs. Usually I am running around 70% capacity but thanks to the rather relaxed routine during the weekends, my legs had a chance to rebuild. My arms and shoulders are not so lucky though. I guess I am pushing them more now since I am trying to tone my chest. Apparently the only way to really work the chest is through the arms and shoulder exercises. I have somewhat flabby arms anyway so all is good. I just hope they do not inflate that much. My left arm is already showing symptoms of the 'American' workout with all the veins popping. My right arm which is developed slowly via badminton is kind of solid without severe veins. The reason why I pump up my left arm is because I hope I can achieve balance between my left and right side. It is too bad I realize it too late. My legs also are not that balanced due to constant running in a single circular direction. Now I tend to split the rounds with half being clockwise and then counter-clockwise.

Onward to today's topic, I will like to talk about photographs. As social media keeps on growing, most of us spend a lot of time looking at pictures of other people. Photos of events that we couldn't attend, photos of their travels, photos of themselves or photos of people they know. We keep in touch with what is happening with our friends in Facebook by looking at their photos. In a way it is some form of entertainment for many. I am sure many of us have laughed at silly photos or photos with silly captions or comments. From a photograph we can gain so many different things. Some people gain knowledge or become curious to know about something, someone or a location. A photograph can become a topic of discussion. A photograph can build or break a relationship. How many of you become attracted to a person simply by looking at photographs? Sometimes from photographs you can try to imagine the person.

But most importantly is that photographs are used to capture a moment forever. I guess I have touched this topic before in the memento post. Well perhaps I won't touch on the emotional aspect of keeping photographs but today I found out it is useful to proof a point. Somehow an event or a moment in the past can be immortalized with a digital photo stored in the Internet. It could work for or against you depending on what the photo is about. In my case, I was trying to show how I look during my university days. A photograph shows you were somewhere, doing something and being another version of yourself. It would be kind of boring if a person keeps almost the same look throughout the years. Apparently my skin was smoother and my hair is much more curlier. I guess it is true to say that a photograph provides a window to the past as you relive it, memories flooding in and feelings welling up.

Maybe I should start taking more photos. Especially photos that highlight the major changing points of my life. I don't really have much photos of my first job though. And my phone died during my convocation so I didn't take much photos either. My parents were disappointed and furious. Well I have never liked photos so I don't really feel the same as my parents. Perhaps it was due to my lack of confidence about my looks. I seldom liked how I look in photos. I guess I need to practice more on my own. It is no exaggeration that knowing which angle you look best in is an art. I just hope my housemate won't catch me posing in front of the mirror or opening the webcam on my laptop just for fun. Anyhow I will be taking a photo of my monthly workout progress by the end of this week. A few years down the road maybe I will be looking at them or showing it around hopefully having achieved my objective. Take care and enjoy Tuesday!!!

No comments: