Saturday, February 11, 2012

Lazy and me

I thought I have written a post dedicated to my laziness before. Apparently I was wrong. Perhaps it is due to the extreme workout that I put myself through yesterday, but I am feeling spectacularly lazy today. I feel it is kinda extreme because at that time I was seriously intent on pushing my body to the limits. And somehow I was feeling irritated the whole day. It is just one of those days when everything and everyone is annoying. Or maybe it is just a condition unique to myself. Besides stress busting, exercise keeps me fit and shifts my attention to my sore body instead of wallowing in random bitterness. Since it is the end of another week, I took the time to feel up parts of my body to check if there are improvements. I still have around 2 weeks left until I need to take a progress picture. Stomach development has been slow honestly. Same thing with my triceps or under-arm muscles. Inner thigh looks good though. Weight is still annoyingly static.

If you think someone that willing dedicates at least half an hour a day exercising and stretching is not lazy, you are wrong. But I think it is conditional laziness. I mean who wouldn't want to spend time or effort doing things they like or feel worth it? Some people are more responsible and be more willing to spend time doing things they do not like. I honestly try my very best to avoid doing things I do not like. I would rather lie down on my bed and roll around than to do office work. I am sitting here blogging instead of looking up my office email or planning my work progress for the coming week. Perhaps it is just the thinking that I should not concern myself with work during the weekends. Problem is, I sometimes do not concern myself with work even at office.

However, I manage to survive thus far. Even though I am lazy, I cannot afford to lose my job so I will need to deliver my work eventually. Therefore, I will try to find the shortest and most efficient route of finishing my work. I also like to question existing work flow because there might be an easier way to doing it. In a way, I am being useful. However, I am well aware that not many companies accept my way of doing things. This is true especially with my previous company where simply sitting still for more than 10 minutes will invite questioning. We are expected to spend all our time hammering on the computer making full use of our time. Somehow this is true because they are paying us for the time spent working for them. What if I can finish a 2 day task in 1 and a half days? I am supposed to continue to the next one without rest? When will it end then? What will be my initiative to work so hard then? Should I simply work as needed only? That is why I suffered burn out.

Well the subject is rather subjective. As long as the company holds steadfast to the keyword 'results oriented', this means the boss will keep his nose out of my work ethics hopefully. If there is an ending in sight, or perhaps a reward at the end of the task, then yes, I will be at full force. Maybe this is what people call calculative. It is a fine line between that and fighting for my entitlement. Anyway, laziness is not always a bad thing. It is human nature and just like the rest of the 7 sins, if not in excess, it can be used for good. For example, some of the conveniences of modern life are invented because the old way is too time consuming or takes too much effort. The lazy ones identified with the need, started questioning the current solution and came up with a better idea. However, some us are leading sedentary lives because of modern amenities.

Speaking of calculative, I manage to read an article about people being stingy in a daily paper. Seems like the author must have been pissed off by a stingy person close to her. Yes, the author is female. The problem is, she posted a picture with the words 'wealth cannot be taken to the grave'. I disagree with that. Actually it depends on how you look at it. Wealth is not worth the health sacrificed, but being stingy with expenses might help with fund management. We cannot predict the future, so perhaps money can make some of us feel safer in this materialistic world. Especially those who are severely independent. To be shallow, somehow the quote is similar to people saying 'plans mean nothing in the grave'. Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion but reading that in the newspaper gave me a nasty taste. Take care, and enjoy Sunday!!!

No comments: