Sunday, February 19, 2012

Values and me

I am not sure if I have blogged about this before but I think I have touched this issue one way or the other in my previous posts. I actually thought about the topic since this morning when I went to UKM. First of all I want to highlight the values people display in public. It has been a long time since I went on the old school KTM service which is a public short distance train. This is the only direct transit from the city center to the outskirts where UKM is located. And I was reminded of all the reasons why I hate it. People cutting each other while queuing, blocking passengers from disembarking before entering the carriage and pushing others to make way. All this seldom happen with the Light Rail Transit service I frequently use near my house. I do not mean to offend the people who live in the rural areas but this is how I see it. One of them even sat on the floor while staring at other passengers. Does he enjoy the view? There was an uncle who makes weird sounds and smells bad with disheveled clothes. What is going on through their minds?

But I am not entirely innocent either. I didn't extend a hand to help a blind passenger. I talk and laugh loudly when I go out with my friends. It is less severe to an extent but I cannot simply brush it off as 'common behavior' either. The talking and laughing has improved a lot since my younger days but I still couldn't exactly help someone in need. I think primarily I want to avoid trouble or getting involved with strangers. I do have the simple courtesy of getting out of the way or offering my seat to them. I am sure there are more that I didn't mention but my brain is kinda stuck right now. But I do want to stress it is always better to be polite and treat others better. At least it makes everyone feel more pleasant and things will be done smoothly and easily without additional trouble. I believe everyone simply want the day to end without incidents. Anything good that happens will be a bonus. And that might include a simple 'Thank you' or 'Have a nice day'.

I try not to touch too much on personal values. My major complaint is people who do not open up their minds for new ideas or opinions. And they still keep on going about the importance of innovation and creativity. Perhaps the best way to sum it up is direct hypocrisy. I am not sure if I am guilty of this as well but I hope I am not. Sounds familiar? I guess you can see this kind of stuff everywhere now. We can only try our best not to succumb. I actually have a lot more to say because just like everyone, I have complaints about the values of other people that clash with mine. But you never know how what you say may come and stab you in the back. I think I am too direct in my opinions and too blunt in my words. This is actually more or less a 'grey' area. It might be the best way to go for some but it might be better to lie for others. Furthermore the results depend on too many other uncontrollable variables. For example, the person's mood.

I guess that is all about values and people. Today, nothing much happened after the UKM trip. I managed to hook up my laptop with my PS3 with the former acting as a media server. Now I can play HD files directly from my laptop using my PS3 which will render it in true HD. My laptop is not really capable of that. Earlier as I went shopping, I find more and more evidence that looks and appearances are not exactly a major factor in a relationship. I guess I am misguided in that aspect but I still think there is nothing wrong with my pursuit. I guess I am pretty stubborn. My body still remains mostly the same and is recovering well. The coming week I will reduce my workouts as part of my new plan to include a 'rest' week to induce more recovery. I will also try to introduce new diet changes. Mostly is reducing more carbohydrates and start buying eggs. That's it from me, take care and enjoy Monday!!!

No comments: